Saturday, February 25, 2012

Questions for Americans

It’s been three weeks, and I’ve met quite a few new people since my arrival in the village. Most of them are incredibly generous and welcoming, even though I’m not the greatest company since I can’t speak much Georgian. However, I always enjoy their company -- and their food, I’m not gonna lie. Except for the severed pig’s head that my host grandmother once shoved in my face (while opening the mouth like a puppet and making squealing sounds) the food is awesome.

But I talk about food enough as it is --- This particular post is inspired by the informal interview I always get when meeting new people, while we wait for the food to hit the table. I always get the same questions: “You’re from America? What city? What state?” (puzzled faces --- Austin Minnesota is unfamiliar) “…ok, you’re a good girl. How old are you? 22? You’re so young! Do you like Georgia? Georgian food? Good girl. Are you married? No? Do you want a Georgian husband? We’ll find you a Georgian husband. You’re a good girl, a very good girl.”

Aside from that, when people in my village find out that I speak Russian they usually make an awkward attempt at translating some simple Georgian into broken Russian, which is either barely understandable or completely incomprehensible. Luckily the simple Georgian is easy for me, since I’ve been asked the same questions so many times I have them memorized.

Other notable questions: “What is your profession?” (Which I never know how to answer... Am I a teacher?) “Have you ever been to Miami?” (Because apparently everyone wants to go there) “How much do you get paid?” (Which is awkward, because I make more than twice the amount that my co-teachers make) and, my personal favorite, “Have you ever met Lady Gaga?” (Which more than one person has asked me, in connection with the statement “Lady Gaga is a man”).


More news later, most likely about all the free time I have and the silly things I find to spend it on. Georgia is great.

Love,
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment